SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#182480 - 06/03/06 12:31 PM Van Morrison Song: "Come Running (to me)" performed on Tyros2
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Here'e my live performance of a Van Morrison 'feel good' tune entitled: "Come Running", from his 1970 "Moondance Album" . Though I realize: "Moondance", "Crazy Love", and "Into The Mystic" (from that same album) are perhaps more recognized & remembered, I think all the songs on this classic album are gems, and worthy of recognition. Morrison's original version features a great double time rock rhythm, but I thought, for a different approach, I'd utilize a "Train Beat" rhythm instead.

Style: Midispot "Train beat 2"
Right Voices : S.A. Pedal Steel Guitar + Aloha Guitar
Left Voice: Acoustic Grand Piano

To listen, go to my website:
Scott Yee Entertainment
then:
Go to the: "Song Demos" Page.
Scroll DOWN to the: "Pop Rock & Blues" Song Category
Go to: "Come Running (to me)", then
Select: 'DSL/Cable' or '56K' version, to play in Windows Media Audio (WMA) format.

Hope you like it.

Scott

[This message has been edited by Scottyee (edited 06-03-2006).]

#182481 - 06/03/06 12:58 PM Re: Van Morrison Song: "Come Running (to me)" performed on Tyros2
TwoNuts Offline

Loc: Vancouver, Washington. USA
Hey Scott,

That was a fast lively and very fun tune to listen to. You had all the vocal levels set really well. The harmonizer blended very well.
You played it very well, and with the new rhythm implemented it gave the song a very fun feel.
Great playing as usual.

Regards,

Dennis

[This message has been edited by TwoNuts (edited 06-03-2006).]

Dennis L. Almond
aka...TwoNuts

#182482 - 06/03/06 01:16 PM Re: Van Morrison Song: "Come Running (to me)" performed on Tyros2
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
Scott,
very enjoyable song with a nice "light" feel and also a very appropriate slide guitar. I bet that you had a lot of fun recording this one.

#182483 - 06/03/06 01:22 PM Re: Van Morrison Song: "Come Running (to me)" performed on Tyros2
Craig_UK Offline

Loc: UK
Agree with the other comments, nice and lively, sounding like you had a good time recording it Scott. Nice rhythm and the harmoniser works well without it sounding overused.
Nice job m8 well done

#182484 - 06/03/06 03:33 PM Re: Van Morrison Song: "Come Running (to me)" performed on Tyros2
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Scott, Keep 'em coming.

#182485 - 06/03/06 03:42 PM Re: Van Morrison Song: "Come Running (to me)" performed on Tyros2
TwoNuts Offline

Loc: Vancouver, Washington. USA
Do you ever have those days where you just don't know what your doin' ?

Thats me today.

[This message has been edited by TwoNuts (edited 06-03-2006).]

Dennis L. Almond
aka...TwoNuts

#182486 - 06/03/06 04:55 PM Re: Van Morrison Song: "Come Running (to me)" performed on Tyros2
Scottyee Offline

Dennis, Andrea, Craig, & Steve: Many thanks for your words of support guys. I always have fun doing this song, especially because it always gets the crowd super energized, with them joining in on the chorus, and dancing in the isles too. - Scott

#182487 - 06/03/06 08:23 PM Re: Van Morrison Song: "Come Running (to me)" performed on Tyros2
Dnj Offline

Scott.....
You NAILED This Song for sure!!
Style, Guitar work, Voc harmony is
Spot on...Bravo!!!
I really enjoyed it....keep em coming!!!
Scott Yee & the Tyros 2 "Perfect Together"

#182488 - 06/03/06 10:18 PM Re: Van Morrison Song: "Come Running (to me)" performed on Tyros2
kla4 Offline

Loc: NL
Well done buddy !
Great song and the vocals are great. Just curious, did you use the Voiceworks or T2 harmonizer?

#182489 - 06/04/06 06:38 AM Re: Van Morrison Song: "Come Running (to me)" performed on Tyros2
Scottyee Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by kla4:
Well done buddy !
did you use the Voiceworks or T2 harmonizer?

hi kla4: As with all my songs produced on Tyros2, I utilized the T2's built in vocal harmonizer exclusively, recording my live performance straight to (no multi-tracking or overdubs) the T2's hard drive utilizing the T2 digital audio hd recorder. No post processing was made. The resultant WAV file was simply converted to WMA (windows media audio) format for more convenient (smaller file size) web hosting. - Scott

#182490 - 06/04/06 07:32 AM Re: Van Morrison Song: "Come Running (to me)" performed on Tyros2
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
Scott,
this is a brilliant arrangement with a lot of energy and polish. It really brightens up my morning and is giving me a positive look at this new day.
I have not ever heard you doing this style of music before. I really like what you have done with this music.
Keep on Keeping on
Bill

#182491 - 06/04/06 07:48 AM Re: Van Morrison Song: "Come Running (to me)" performed on Tyros2
loungelyzard Offline

Loc: North Eastern Calif.
Scotty:

Really enjoyed your performance of this tune, I especially like your doing it live, and hearing how "live" can be true to how your mood is at this recorded moment. You are very very good at getting things right on. Your playing was supurb and as usual your attention to playing took priority over the vocals, however the vocals/harmony was great, but a bit stiffer than It would have been if you were just singing with somone else taking the stress of the music part.

Not intending criticism here just saying its one hell of a job to get a finished recording in one shot, with you being the band, the vocolist. the sound studio, etc etc and only having a very minor glitch or two, that most would never notice, I think they are normal and don't even hear them.........

You may not realise that you have just done a feat that most could never do. If some are in doubt try what he just did (one shot only !!!) cheers.....lets hear more...

------------------
Support the arts
FEED a Musician
Cheers....Pose

#182492 - 06/04/06 08:02 AM Re: Van Morrison Song: "Come Running (to me)" performed on Tyros2
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
One of my favorite voices on the t2 is the Pedal Steel guitar. Between that and the violin, .

Great Job, Scotty it sounded great.

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#182493 - 06/04/06 03:09 PM Re: Van Morrison Song: "Come Running (to me)" performed on Tyros2
Bob Hendershot Offline

Loc: Johnson City, TN USA
I think this is your best so far, Scott. Clean, clear vocal and great selection of keyboard voicing. Well done!

#182494 - 06/04/06 10:29 PM Re: Van Morrison Song: "Come Running (to me)" performed on Tyros2
Scottyee Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by BEBOP:

It really brightens up my morning and is giving me a positive look at this new day.

Bebop, you saying this, has certainly made, my day today, brighter as well. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally posted by loungelyzard:
I especially like your doing it live, and hearing how "live" can be true to how your mood is at this recorded moment . . .
and only having a very minor glitch or two, that most would never notice.

Pose, good point, for it's exactly what you said that I feel is the essense of music making, and what I want to capture in my arranger keyboard/vocal recordings. Though I wish everything could be perfect, I'm learning to accept the fact that minor glitches cannot realistically be fully eliminated in live performance recording. Specifically with "Come Running", I acknowledge the registration change glitch heard which clipped my vocals at one point, as well as an auto accomp chord change delay in the instrumental solo, but decided to tolerate these, in exchange for the other parts of the song performance that I was very satisfied with.

Quote:
Originally posted by kbrkr:
One of my favorite voices on the t2 is the Pedal Steel guitar.

I Concur. Btw: Here's how I assigned the RT Voices (layered) for playing Pedal Steel.

Rt1: SA Pedal Steel, panned far left (efx setting 1)
Rt2: SA Pedal Steel, panned far right (efx efx setting 2)
Rt3: Aloha Guitar, panned 3/4

Pitchbend (lowest note in a chord only) for SA Pedal triggered via footpedal, and pitchbend (any notes played) for Aloha Gtr triggered via key touch. I find the combination of these triggering techniques and the hard panning left/right of Super Articulation voices helps to add even more sound realism.

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Hendershot:
I think this is your best so far

Hi Bob, Hearing you say this is especially appreciated, because I hope to grow and continue to improve musicially, and be able to say (a year from now) that the music I'm producing in the future, is better than what I'm producing now as well.

Many thanks to everyone for sharing their thoughts.

Scott

#182495 - 06/05/06 07:13 AM Re: Van Morrison Song: "Come Running (to me)" performed on Tyros2
Scottyee Offline

#182496 - 06/05/06 12:44 PM Re: Van Morrison Song: "Come Running (to me)" performed on Tyros2
Dnj Offline

Scott.....
I had to listen to this tune again ....
the catchy hook is very infectious
As always your T2 performance was Super Masterful !

#182497 - 06/05/06 01:21 PM Re: Van Morrison Song: "Come Running (to me)" performed on Tyros2
SD_FAN Offline

Loc: São Paulo, SP / Brazil
Hi Scott.

Only today I had the opportunity to listen your song.
As usual, great job.......I really enjoyed.

Cheers
Armando

#182498 - 06/06/06 06:06 AM Re: Van Morrison Song: "Come Running (to me)" performed on Tyros2
Scottyee Offline

Armando. Thanks

-----------------------------------------------

Ok folks, I'm now considering using 'Sound Forge' to enhance (sweeten) the mix of my song (wav file), much as a professional sound studio engineer might, to give it a more polished sound, & perhaps suitable for CD release.

What specific 'Sound Forge' audio editing/enhancement processes might you guys recommend be performed?:

volume normalization
EQ
effects
compression
other audio processing

Thanks. - Scott

#182499 - 06/08/06 09:55 AM Re: Van Morrison Song: "Come Running (to me)" performed on Tyros2
PraiseTheLord Offline

Loc: N Fort Myers, FL, USA
Scott, I agree with most of the comments here. This is a great vocal and performance, and of couse as always the keyboard work is fantastic!!

Graham

#182500 - 06/08/06 10:28 AM Re: Van Morrison Song: "Come Running (to me)" performed on Tyros2
Eric, B Offline

Loc: Ventura, Ca, USA
Hey Scott,

I just had a chance to listen to your song.
Great job.

I like actually your version better than the origional. Yours is a bit more upbeat and happier. And of course much clearer.

Again great job.
Thanks for sharing.

Eric

#182501 - 06/08/06 04:12 PM Re: Van Morrison Song: "Come Running (to me)" performed on Tyros2
Scottyee Offline

Graham & Eric: Thanks for your support guys Everyone's positive feedback has given me the confidence to attempt recording yet ANOTHER Van Morrison tune (but this a ballad, and more widely regonized one) now. I'll post a thread annoucement when I get it posted. - Scott

#182502 - 06/08/06 05:23 PM Re: Van Morrison Song: "Come Running (to me)" performed on Tyros2
SBPC Offline

Loc: Goleta, CA, USA
Hey Scott,
I had a listen to your song and thoroughly enjoyed it. (I’m probably one of the last ones to post comments about it.) As many others have pointed out, it’s fun, it’s upbeat, and you did a fine job with it. The recording was clean and clear and your use of the harmonizer was measured and IMO about the right amount for the overall song. I think you have a winner here. About the only thing the Van Morrison original offered by way of added “punch” was its bass line.
Paul C.

#182503 - 06/08/06 06:47 PM Re: Van Morrison Song: "Come Running (to me)" performed on Tyros2
Kmac Offline

Excellent recording and instrumentation Scott- the guitar sounded so authentic - I think what arrangers always need to remember (which you always do) is that just because you push the guitar sound button doesn't necessarily mean that you are going to sound like a guitar (or any other instrument choice for that matter). You do an awesome job of articulating, phrasing and voicing your instrumentation/ sound choices in a manner which makes them sound authentic - Super work!
Vocals were great too - : )
KMac

#182504 - 06/08/06 10:12 PM Re: Van Morrison Song: "Come Running (to me)" performed on Tyros2
Scottyee Offline

Paul, thanks for the listen and insightful comments.

Quote:
Originally posted by SBPC:
About the only thing the Van Morrison original offered by way of added “punch” was its bass line.
Paul C.

Hi Paul: Realizing you just purchased a Tyros2 yourself (btw: congratulation ), rest assured, though I myself opted against adding any more punch to the bass part than I did, it's possible (on Tyros2) to add MORE (in your face?!) punch to the auto accomp bass line (if desired), by increasing the bass track volume, and/or adding some chorus effect to further fatten the sound if desired.

Kmac, as I said in your other thread response to my other song posting: "Corcovado", a warm welcome back to SZ. Can't believe it's been over 4 years since you last posted. I really appreciate your positive reply to my song, especially realizing that you're a professional music educator and award winning keyboard artist in your own right. Hope you find time to participate more often on this forum. - Scott

#182505 - 06/09/06 07:15 AM Re: Van Morrison Song: "Come Running (to me)" performed on Tyros2
SBPC Offline

Loc: Goleta, CA, USA
Hi Scott,
I should have been more specific in my comment about the bass line “punch.” I wasn’t referring to the volume or “fatness” of the bass. I think you had that at a level that you would not want to increase, as you suggested. Rather, I was referring to the melodic content and rhythmic differences between the Train Beat style bass line and the bass line of the Van Morrison number. To my ears that made the difference I was referring to. But that comes down to a question of individual (and hence subjective) musical taste.
Paul C

#182506 - 06/13/06 06:07 AM Re: Van Morrison Song: "Come Running (to me)" performed on Tyros2
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Scottyee:
Graham & Eric: Thanks for your support guys Everyone's positive feedback has given me the confidence to attempt recording yet ANOTHER Van Morrison tune (but this a ballad, and more widely regonized one) now. I'll post a thread annoucement when I get it posted. - Scott

I'm thinking "Have I Told You Lately" ... ??? ...
t.

#182507 - 06/13/06 06:59 AM Re: Van Morrison Song: "Come Running (to me)" performed on Tyros2
Scottyee Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by tony mads usa:
I'm thinking "Have I Told You Lately" ... ??? ...

The one I'm recording next is a crazy love song.

Hey Tony, a big WELCOME BACK to ya! Can't wait to see the pics taken with you & Andrea, as well as other photo highlights from trip to Italy. Did you catch any interesting music shows/acts there? Might perhaps your next Synthzone song contribution be an Italian inspired tune?

Scott

#182508 - 06/13/06 10:02 AM Re: Van Morrison Song: "Come Running (to me)" performed on Tyros2
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Quote:

Hey Tony, a big WELCOME BACK to ya! Can't wait to see the pics taken with you & Andrea, as well as other photo highlights from trip to Italy. Did you catch any interesting music shows/acts there? Might perhaps your next Synthzone song contribution be an Italian inspired tune?

Scott

Scott ... thnx for the welcome back ... I have been trying to catch up, here, at work, at home (jungle of a lawn, etc.) so it's been pretty hectic...

During the tour in Italy we heard some good musicians/vocalists, mostly 'strolling' table to table during dinner ... The night Andrea had dinner with us there was a guitarist/vocalist ... Andrea and I were both impressed especially with his playing ... while at our table he sang a beautiful song which Andrea was kind enough to send me the music to, and I am now trying to find the time to learn it ... besides playing it, I want to sing the Italian lyric as well, so this may take some time ...
In Tuscany the tour had dinner at a restaurant that had a kb player and female vocalist ... He was playing a Solton X1 ... sounded pretty good ...
On the boat to Palermo there was a kb/pianist/vocalist who played and sang well... had a Solton on top of the piano ...
In Taormina (Sicily) we stayed at the Capotaormina Hotel which was really nice ( 4 star ?)... they had a kb/vocalist who was EXCELLENT ... Also played a Solton and a Yamaha digital piano, .... he had a great voice ...
Overall the talent level was pretty high... and when they are singing in Italian, it ALL sounds beautiful ...
ciao,
t.

#182509 - 06/13/06 01:54 PM Re: Van Morrison Song: "Come Running (to me)" performed on Tyros2
Dnj Offline

Quote:

Scott

Scot.....why are you torturing us ????/ where is your next surprise T2 recording... your fans are waiting!! !!!!

#182510 - 06/17/06 03:29 PM Re: Van Morrison Song: "Come Running (to me)" performed on Tyros2
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Hi Scott

Finally got the computer fixed, I hope. Turned out to need a bios update. This time when I listened to your song, the computer would no longer crash. So I'm playing catch up.

It seems like you pick songs that you personally like and it is carried across in your rendition of whatever you're doing.

This sure sounds like you're headed to Nashville with that country sound you're getting here. I see you're having fun with that steel guitar and making it sound like you're playing the real thing.

I don't recognize the style, what is it? Is it onboard the Tryos 2?
Scott

#182511 - 06/17/06 05:07 PM Re: Van Morrison Song: "Come Running (to me)" performed on Tyros2
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
That is a very fun rendition to listen to Scott. I enjoyed the uptempo feel and your vocal treatment. Plus the steel guitar on the Tyros worked very well. Well done.

#182512 - 06/21/06 10:43 PM Re: Van Morrison Song: "Come Running (to me)" performed on Tyros2
Scottyee Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Scott Langholff:
It seems like you pick songs that you personally like and it is carried across in your rendition of whatever you're doing.

ScottL: Exactly. I enjoy coming up with fresh new rendition to both: familar (and not so familiar) tunes. To win my audiences with them, obviously brings me the most satisfaction.

Quote:
Originally posted by Scott Langholff:
I don't recognize the style, what is it? Is it onboard the Tryos 2?

Midispot: Train beat 2

Thanks Nigel & ScottL for your support. I gotta admit, this new song is especially well received on all my gigs.

Scott

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online